What Is STEAM
STEAM is an educational initiative created by the Rhode Island School of Design that adds the arts to the original STEM framework.
According to the Rhode Island School of Design, “The goal is to foster the true innovation that comes with combining the mind of a scientist or technologist with that of an artist or designer.”
The addition of the arts to the original STEM framework is important as practices, such as modeling, developing explanations, and engaging in critique, and evaluation (argumentation), have too often been under emphasized in the context of math & science education.
What is cross-curricular integration? The art themes are designed to include other disciplines such as math, science, vocabulary, or language arts and STEM.
How literacy, math, science and technology can be incorporated into an art project?
Example ( Kindergarten and First grade)
Book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.
Theme: Symmetry in art
1. Students will draw a butterfly.
2. We will examine images that demonstrate symmetry.
3. Students will draw lines and shapes in order to create a symmetrical design (Math/Geometry integration)
1. We will read the book: The very Hungry Caterpillar and discuss the events in the story.
2. We will expand our vocabulary by identifying new words and their meaning.
1. A class discussion regarding the Life Cycle of a butterfly.
1. We will use our iPads to draw a digital butterfly.
How is Art History incorporated into the art curriculum?
1. A well designed art program needs to include art history units in historical context.
2. Students are introduced to cultural forces that influence the rise and fall of styles and theories.
3. The art lessons are designed to introduce the students to a wide variety of artists, cultures, theories, styles, and materials.